Whether you are after a simple chain or enough bling to be seen from space, look at everything you need to get started. Learn how to choose the right men’s neck chain design, length, and pendants to have a good feel.
Whatever neck chain you are after, choose something that tells your story. An accessory does more than just look good. It symbolizes your journey, an adventure, a special moment in life, or even reminds you of a time and place. What story will yours tell? Here is the ultimate guide to men’s neck chains.
How to Wear Men’s Neck Chain
- Know what story you want to tell
Ask yourself how attention-grabbing you want the neck chain to be. Do you want an outrageously thick gold chain or a simple silver neck chain and cross pendant?
- Know what you will wear with your neck chain
Will you wear it on top of your shirt or beneath it? Knowing this helps you decide on the size and length.
- Know what colour you need and match metals
Your neck chain should match other colours in your outfit and other accessories like bracelets, rings or a watch – and why wouldn’t you? – keep everything cohesive. And since neck chains come into contact with the skin, make sure they are made from genuine metals from Aurex Jewellery to avoid an allergic reaction.
- Know how many you want
This goes back to #2. It is tricky to wear multiple neck chains under a shirt without their outline being visible. But on top of a shirt…go wild.
To layer neck chains and wear more than one, choose 2-3 chains of different textures and varying lengths.
Choosing the Best Size and Length of Chains
For most men’s chains, 50 cm is the average length. This falls at the collar bone between the top two buttons on a shirt and looks good inside or outside the shirt. If you are wearing a chain with a pendant, opt for 55-63 cm so the pendant finishes in the middle of your chest. However, at Aurex Jewellery you can customise any length of choice. Also, when adding a pendant, make sure it fits the chain and is not overpowered by its thickness.
Types of Chains for Men
- Cuban Chain – The Cuban chain is the most popular type of chain for men. It is created from connecting oval links and resembles actual chain. Alone, Cuban chains are not the most statement-making necklace on the market, but they are great for holding a cross and other pendants
- Figaro Chain – With its roots in Italy, the Figaro chain gets its name from the title character in The Barber of Seville, a famous Italian opera. This chain is special because of its pattern of flat oval links. Typically, the pattern is of 1 large link followed by 2-3 shorter links. The Figaro chain necklace is a variation of the Cuban chain.
- Rope Chain – The rope chain consists of chain links twisted together and resembles rope. Rope chains are known for their strength and often used with pendants.
- Wheat Chain – In a wheat neck chain, oval links are plaited together in the same direction to look like tips of wheat stalks. Wheat chains are often used with pendants.
- Herringbone Chain – The herringbone chain is a flat neck chain characterized by V-shaped links in alternating directions. It is often confused with an Omega chain which has a similar design but is made from flat pieces in a curved design. Herringbone chains are not as flexible as Omegas and are prone to kinking. Both are notorious for pulling and pinching the finer hairs on your neck, therefore, a great reason for staying groomed.
- Snake Chain – A variation of herringbone and omega chains, snake chains are made from tightly connected plates or bands that resemble snakeskin. The result is a smooth, round zig-zag pattern. Known for being delicate, they are great with pendants.
How to Clean and Care for Neck Chains
Too much dirt and dust on your chain can cause it to break and lose its shine. You should clean your gold and silver jewellery with mild soap, a soft brush and warm water. After rinsing off the soap with lots of cold water and drying the pieces carefully, your chains will look new again. Alternatively, you can take your chain for professional cleaning periodically at Aurex. If you want to make any adjustments or changes, take it to Aurex and experts will make whatever adjustments may be necessary.
Shop for men’s neck chains here https://aurex.co.zw/fashion-jewellery/bangles-chains/
Connect with us on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/aurex-jewellery-ab567a169/
Juliet Paganga & Peterson Mandebvu